Treasury of the Countryside of Beltinci
Treasury of the Countryside of Beltinci
Žujca
Treasury of the Countryside of Beltinci

Facebook

BELTINCI

The town Beltinci represents the administration centre, and with 2280 inhabitants the largest settlement in the Municipality of Beltinci. The town was first mentioned in 1322 as Belethfalua. As early as in 13 th century, the settlement was a landed property of the old Slovenian noble family Jura. After 1265 (1267) it was inherited by the powerful family of Hahold-Banffy (Banič) from Dolnja Lendava.

From the urban point of view it is a typical Pannonian settlement that has grown on the main road axis and on both banks of the Črnec stream. The settlement has markedly developed in the central part, which is defined by the castle and the church on one side, and by the main road on the other side.

The town has an international reputation for traditional music and dance and the International Folklore Festival.

Many  notabilities of public life come from Beltinci - Jožef Baša – Miroslav, poet and popular storyteller (1894 – 1916), Ivan Baša, cleric, publicist and religious writer (1875 – 1931), and Prof. Dr. Vilko Novak, ethnologist and Slavicist (1909-2003) to mention but a few.

BRATONCI


Bratonci is a town with 705 inhabitants. The town chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Outside the town in the direction of the settlement Dokležovje, an interesting pillar mark from 1724 (Croatian Christ) is to be found. A monument standing on the cemetery raised to the memory of Štefan Kuhar, publicist and collector of folk literature, is a work of famous Slovene architect Jožef Plečnik.
The town is well known for apple wine, and in recent times for »bratonski krapci«, a cottage cheese cake from the baker's oven.

DOKLEŽOVJE


Troughout centuries the town was a part of the old parish of Turnišče. Since 1942 it is an autonomous parish with 960 souls. On the St. Stephen's Church, built in 1844, the highest water level is marked from the times when Mura river used to overflow the village.
In the vicinity of the Mura river a boundary stone from the period of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy is placed. A few houses representing the old-time provincial architecture are still to be found in the village.
A monument raised to the memory of Ivan Jerič, a parish priest in Lendava and Turnišče, for his significant contribution to the union of the Slovenians in Prekmurje with the mother nation after the First World War, is placed at the eastern entry of the village.

GANČANI

The village Gančani is situated on sandy soil in the vicinity of the Ledava stream and has 996 inhabitants.
Written records going back to 1322 bear witness to the times when contracts were made in Gančani between lords of the castles of Gornja  Lendava (present-day Grad na Goričkem) and Dolnja Lendava (present-day Lendava). Back in 14th century, there were two settlements of Gančani, the First and the Second. In the present day, a hamlet called Hraščice still exists. The chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus dating back to 1908 is situated in the village centre.
In the past, cooper's trade was strongly developed in Gančani and has been preserved to the present day. A special annual event in the village is setting up a Maypole.

IŽAKOVCI


Ižakovci is a riverside village with a typical Pannonian character, with houses built along the road and the outhouses in the backyard. It has 820 inhabitants.

Thanks to the embankments, the course of the Mura river has been improved, so there are no more floods. In the past, people had to struggle with the river continuously. In the memory of those struggles, an annual festival called the Days of Büjraši is being held by villagers of Ižakovci, presenting regulation works on the Mura river and other ethnological attractions.

The chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was built in 1906. The most important tourist spot is the Island of Love with a floating mill, a riverbank house with a permanent exhibition about »Büjraštvo on the Mura river« (büjranje - consolidation of  riverbanks) and a ferry that plies between the riverbanks.

LIPA 


Lipa is a village belonging to the Municipality of Beltinci and at the same time to the parish of Turnišče. It has 633 inhabitants and is well known for growing potatoes. The village chapel, built in 1886, is dedicated to the Visitation of the Virgin Mary. In the past, there was a dairy named Anastazija in the vicinity of the village, owned by the noble family of Beltinci. A ploughshare made of stone was found in Lipa, an artefact from the Bronze Age.
The tourist attraction of the town is the Pannonian house where preparation of local culinary specialties (langaš) and presentations of old customs (pozvačin from Prekmurje) are being held.

LIPOVCI

In the oldest written documents dating from 1322, the town Lipovci is mentioned as Kletliphoc, later as Lypouch, Lipolc and Lypowcz. The settlement is situated in a very interesting strategic position at the intersection of a railway and a motorway. The second largest settlement of the Municipality of Beltinci has 1047 inhabitants.
The chapel built in 1922 in the centre of the village is dedicated to the Saints Peter and Paul, the greatest Apostles of the Church. Behind the chapel there is a memorial park with busts of the painters Karel Jakob and Izidor Horvat – Izak. The annual art colony »Izak« Lipovci is being held in Lipovci every June.
The statue of a standing country woman – mother of the painter Karel Jakob in the village cemetery belongs among historical monuments in Municipality of Beltinci.

One of the rare traditional crafts still preserved in Prekmurje, with a long-lasting tradition in Lipovci, is knitting straw products.

MELINCI

Melinci is a riverside village defined by road axis connecting it with neighbouring villages Ižakovci and Bistrica and the municipal centre Beltinci. On the east side it is surrounded by flood forest, and on the west side by fields. In the past the villagers had to fight repeatedly with the untamable river. The legend says that brothers Cyril and Methodius crossed the Mura river in Melinci.
Melinci is known for traditional brickworks. The presentation of the manufacture of bricks is being held at the annual festival Ciglarski dnevi (Days of Brickworks) in Ciglarsko naselje (Brickmakers' Settlement). The ferry has been plying across the Mura river for decades. The village chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of the Snows, was built in 1913. Nowadays there are 815 people living in Melinci.

Slovenia - Hungary - Croatia